Forklift truck operators should know the rules and regulations governing the safe use of their equipment and should abide by them. These operators have a grave responsibility as they are in charge of a machine that can damage property and inflict personal injury. Most damages and personal injuries are avoidable by strict observance of safety and operating rules.
The following rules/regulations will help prevent accidents, prolong the life of the equipment, and keep operating costs to a minimum.
Care of Machine
- Always come to a full stop before reversing the direction of travel. Your truck can reverse, but the load cannot.
- Avoid sudden stops or starts.
- No one should operate a forklift truck other than the person (or persons) to whom it is assigned.
- Never use forklift for pushing or pulling. Fork trucks are designed to lift and transport.
- Every forklift has a rated capacity for lifting. Never lift amounts that exceed that capacity.
- Safety check your truck at the start and end of your shift.