Fresno USD | 3000 | AR 3315 Business and Non-instructional Operations
Relations with Vendors
- The Purchasing Department shall not solicit funds or materials from vendors, however worthy
- No purchasing shall be made in violation of the Conflict of Interest Code.
- No employee shall endorse any product of any type or kind in such manner as will identify
him/her in any way as an employee of the district.
- Manufacturing facilities, dealerships’ and vendors’ places of business shall be visited by the
Purchasing Department staff if deemed necessary by the Executive Director of Purchasing to
assist in any decision relative to quality of manufacturing and capability of vendors to meet the
- Salespersons shall be required to conduct business through the Purchasing Department during
established office hours. If calls on other departments or schools are necessary, they shall be
arranged by the Purchasing Department.
- No agents nor salespersons shall be permitted to discuss business propositions of any nature
with teachers or students on the school premises while classes are in session. Representatives of
textbook publishers and school furnishing supply houses, at times, may be exempted from this
prohibition by authorization of the Superintendent or designee through authority cards authorized
by the Purchasing and Curriculum Departments.
- All communications with suppliers should be through the Purchasing Department, except in
special cases where the technical details make it advisable to delegate authority to others. A copy
of all correspondence shall be forwarded to the Purchasing Department. If it is necessary to
contact salespeople regarding special or highly technical details of their products, schools or
departments should request such visits through the Purchasing Department.
- In discussions with commercial representatives, district employees should be reminded that
only the Purchasing Department has the authority to commit the expenditure of funds for
materials. Information with regard to prices paid for specific materials shall be furnished by the
- All suppliers’ representatives shall have a hearing relative to their products the first time they
call. Subsequent visits shall be promptly acknowledged and interviews granted, depending upon
- The Purchasing Department shall actively maintain a current list of minority vendors. The list
shall be viewed semiannually by the Executive Director of Purchasing and the district’s
Affirmative Action Officer.
- The Purchasing Department shall be responsible for the disposal of all surplus, obsolete or
- All requests for prices or for repair service and all purchases shall be made by the Purchasing
- All communications with suppliers shall be through the Purchasing Department except in
special cases where the technical details make it advisable for the Executive Director of
Purchasing to delegate that authority to others.
- General specifications for required materials is the responsibility of each using department;
however, the Purchasing Department may question the quality and kind of material requested and
should make recommendations relative to safety, health, economy, substitute materials,
considering life cycle cost analysis, and guaranteed buy-back or disposal value. Disagreements
over materials that cannot be reconciled between the Purchasing Department and the requisitioner
should be forwarded to the proper administrator or committee for decision.
- The Purchasing Department shall be ultimately responsible for the preparation, issuance and
administration of all bids and contracts and documentation of same.
Regulation FRESNO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
Approved: June 23, 1994 Fresno, California
Reviewed: August 1, 2001